Please oppose efforts in the Judiciary Committee to bring H.R. 3713, the Sentencing Reform Act of 2015, to the House floor. This legislation, as it is currently written, would release thousands of dangerous non-citizen offenders at a time when the Obama administration has shown a refusal to deport even the most violent criminal aliens.
Organizations whose members are tasked with keeping Americans safe are opposed to this legislation. These organizations include:
- The National Narcotic Officers’ Associations’ Coalition;
- The Federal Bureau of Investigation Agents Association;
- The Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association;
- The National Sheriffs’ Association;
- The Major County Sheriff’s Association; and
- The National Association of Assistant U.S. Attorneys.
These groups oppose H.R. 3713 because it would release criminal aliens back onto our streets. The Southwest border region would be particularly at risk. 85% of all federal drug possession convictions occur along the Southwest border. To make matters worse, 77% of all federal drug possession convictions are handed down to non-citizens. Many of these criminal aliens belong to violent drug gangs like MS-13. On top of this, 25% of all federal trafficking convictions are handed down to non-citizen aliens. Releasing these criminal aliens en masse would harm countless communities.
I urge you to oppose any effort to bring this legislation to the House floor.