The ongoing crisis at the U.S. / Mexico border will not end unless Congress takes steps to change the government’s immigration and border policies. H.R. 2, the Secure the Border Act, would end the crisis by:
- plugging the loopholes in our asylum system that are exploited by illegal economic migrants, restoring its integrity and protecting it for legitimate asylum seekers;
- blocking the government from continuing its policies of catch-and-release, thus deterring future waves of illegal migrants;
- putting a stop to the surges of family units and unaccompanied alien children, protecting them from exploitation and victimization by the cartels and traffickers;
- putting teeth into efforts to deter visa overstays;
- reining in the breathtaking and illegal abuse of parole; and
- instituting mandatory nationwide E-Verify, which would shut off the “jobs magnet” for illegal immigration while protecting jobs for American workers.
Giving additional funding to the Department of Homeland Security without passing significant policy changes like those found in H.R. 2 would only serve to worsen the border crisis.
Please attach H.R. 2 to must-pass legislation, such as any upcoming spending bills, so that it can be passed by Congress and signed into law by the president.
Greg Raven, Apple Valley, CA
P.S. Secure our borders. Stop the influx of immigrants and refugees. Evict those here illegally. End chain migration. End birthright citizenship. Make E-Verify mandatory.