I am writing to urge you to vote against H.R. 6, which represents a mass amnesty for illegal aliens.
H.R. 6 is a massive handout and amnesty for illegal aliens. If this legislation passes, illegal aliens will receive legal permanent residency and work permits if they:
- arrived in the U.S. before the age of 18;
- have been continuously present in the U.S. for at least 4 years;
- have received a high school diploma or equivalent;
- get a college degree, work for 3 years, or serve in the military for 2 years; and
- have not committed more than three misdemeanors (on separate days) or a felony.
In addition to setting the bar very low, this legislation does not contain any enforcement provisions. Without enforcement provisions, this legislation only serves to encourage more people to come to the U.S. illegally, setting up the need for more amnesties in the future.
H.R. 6 does not benefit present or future American workers and it makes our nation less secure. I urge you to oppose this and any other amnesty bill. A limited amnesty can only be considered once serious immigration reform has been completed, including border security, mandatory E-Verify, and ending chain migration and the visa lottery.
I hope you will do all you can to stop H.R. 6!
Greg Raven, Apple Valley, CA